keskiviikko 20. maaliskuuta 2013

Gustave Doré

With me.. the book love is hardly ever far away?

~*~

Gustave Doré


Gustave Doré (1833-1883) was the most famous illustrator of his time. He was well known for being an artist, engraver and sculptor. He worked primarily with wood and steel engravings. He started his career as an illustrator in rather young age, publishing his first illustrated story at the age of 15. 
Afterwards his most famous illustration works have been Bible, Dante's Divine Comedy, Cervantes' Don Quijote etc. He also illustrated The Raven written by Edgar Allan Poe, and this one, I believe, most of you have surely read as well.


Gustave Dore worked magnificently with different medias, and one thing that becomes obvious when looking at his works is, that he had eye for details. Were it a painting or a sculpture or something else, they are all very richly detailed. Also in many works the themes are strongly from religion or myths.


I also used a small info part in my piece of Divine Comedy for some of the text here.


As for how I wandered to the subject, the reason is one of my latest trips to the local antiquarian book shop, where I found this epic looking version of Dante's Divine Comedy from 1980, with illustrations by Doré of course. The quality of the book is very high with fancy fonts and paper and all. But that's the only right way when you are having a book that some describe as "one of the greatest works of world literature".


My version is obviously in Finnish. For the curious: the translator, Eino Leino, is regarded as one of Finland's most remarkable writers. He is especially well remembered for his numerous poems and lyrics. Not my favorite, but every one in Finland has to know him.




The previous owner had scribbled some notes on the book, but they were done very neatly. I'm leaving them where they are.

And there, the underlined part, would be the most quoted line from this book.



~*~


As for other things, I have been spending time with bjds last week, and am going to continue so to this week's end. More pics from the minishoot above, see [here].

Also. I attended an iaido camp in Helsinki last weekend, and slept on tatami, and my back didn't appreciate. I'm such a granny.

And. There are so many new updates on all the blogs that I follow, that I must come back tomorrow to check them, for if I started now, I wouldn't get to sleep tonight at all. Therefore, good nights for now!

2 kommenttia:

  1. I love the artwork of Doré. Remember seeing this Emperor-album with his art and ever since he's been one of my favorites.
    (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Zenial/lsd/pice-f/big/emperor.jpg)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. He is amazing.
      Thank you for the link, that's impressive indeed :).

      Poista